Boston Red Sox visit the White House; some team members opt out in protest

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmaildkfielding/iStock(WASHINGTON) — The Boston Red Sox visited the White House Thursday afternoon to celebrate their October World Series win with President Donald Trump – an event a number of minority team members skipped in opposition to administration policies.Several key members of the team have opted out of the White House visit, including Red Sox manager and three-time World Series champion Alex Cora. Cora told Puerto Rican newspaper El Nueva Dia he “doesn’t feel comfortable celebrating in the White House,” because of the Trump administration’s disaster relief response to Hurricane Maria.Trump touched on disaster relief during a rally with supporters in Florida Wednesday night. While announcing $448 million in new disaster relief for areas of the Florida panhandle still recovering from Hurricane Michael, the president claimed that Puerto Rico received $91 billion to recover from Hurricane Maria.According to fact checks from the Associated Press and the Washington Post, only $11 billion has been distributed to Puerto Rico so far. The president’s number included the total $41 billion Congress announced and $50 billion in expected future aid.On Monday, Zineb Curran, the vice president of corporate communications for the Red Sox, told ABC News that the team supports and respects Cora’s decision.”We are grateful to our ownership for creating a culture where we discuss these issues openly and encourage individual decision making,” he said.Trump has recently disinvited other championship-winning teams from visiting the White House when their players were critical of him, including the Golden State Warriors and the Philadelphia Eagles in 2018.“Each Red Sox player is a shining example of excellence living out an American sporting tradition that goes back many generations,” Trump said at the event after recounting the Red Sox’s road to a World Series victory. “From the open fields of our rich farmlands to the playgrounds and the vacant lots of our great cities, kids everywhere learned to catch fly balls, swing for the fences and race for the plate. Baseball is truly America’s pastime.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Written by Beau Lundcenter_img May 9, 2019 /Sports News – National Boston Red Sox visit the White House; some team members opt out in protestlast_img read more

Read More →

HII Tests Anchors on US Navy’s Gerald R. Ford

first_img View post tag: News by topic View post tag: americas View post tag: Naval July 2, 2014 Back to overview,Home naval-today HII Tests Anchors on US Navy’s Gerald R. Ford Ford’s new anchor system features a lighter anchor and chain, weighing in at half the weight of the previous Nimitz-class carriers’ anchor systems.Ford features new technological and design innovations in several systems, including the anchor handling system. At 30,000 pounds, Ford’s anchor is significantly lighter than the Nimitz-class anchors, matching the overall lighter weight of the carrier itself. The anchor chain also weighs significantly less than its Nimitz counterpart. The 1,440-foot chain consists of links made of high-strength steel, each link weighing about 136 pounds.Newport News shipbuilders recently gathered to test Ford’s anchor windlass system that is used to deploy and retrieve the anchor and chain. Load tests are performed by attaching additional weight to the anchor to simulate both a 180-foot drop and a 360-foot drop. The anchor handling system must be ready to deploy at a moment’s notice in the event of an emergency.[mappress]Press Release, July 02, 2014; Image: HII Equipment & technology Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Newport News Shipbuilding division has successfully completed anchor testing on the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), bringing the ship closer to its 2016 delivery to the U.S. Navy. View post tag: HII View post tag: Anchors HII Tests Anchors on US Navy’s Gerald R. Ford View post tag: Navy View post tag: USS Gerald R. Ford View post tag: Tests Share this articlelast_img read more

Read More →

NOONAN, ROBERT F.

first_imgA mass of Christian burial was celebrated at St. John the Baptist Church March 27 for Robert F. Noonan, 92. He passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on March 23. A lifelong resident of Jersey City, Robert was a dedicated Jersey City firefighter for over thirty five years and a United States Navy fighter pilot, proudly serving his country in WW II. He was a communicant of St. John the Baptist Church in Jersey City and was also an avid runner, having competed in marathons. Robert is predeceased by his wife, Mary Noonan, his son Robert Noonan and granddaughter, Jenna. He is survived by his childrenMary Patricia Noonan (Gus Salerno), Corinne Caggiano (Frank), Ronald Noonan, Donna Noonan (Dominick Mazzone) and James Gumina (Sharan) and his grandchildren, Michele, Joshua, Lia and Nina.Services arranged by the McLaughlin Funeral Home, Jersey City.last_img read more

Read More →

German bakery shops make inroads in the UK

first_imgWe have had ciabatta from Italy and pain de campagne from France, now Germany is the next Continental bakery superpower targeting British high streets after two of the country’s leading retail bakeries revealed ambitious roll-out plans for the UK.Pretzel company Ditsch, which has over 200 stores in Germany, plans to build its fledgling UK business to around 50 stores in the next five years, while German self-service bakery concept Bake & Take opened its first store in the UK last month, with more in the pipeline.Ditsch currently has 12 stores in the UK in London, Birmingham and the north west plus a wholesale business supplying Waitrose with pretzels. UK MD Raz Nehushtan told BB that the company is currently looking for sites of around 2,500sq ft in railway stations, shopping centres and busy high streets. “We want to grow as quickly as we can and are aiming to open three to five new stores this year in major cities in England and Wales, with a target of 50 in five years,” he said.The shops sell a wide range of soft pretzels in different flavours, pizzas made with pretzel dough and sweet pastries. Bakery products are imported frozen from Germany, before being proved and baked in-store.Meanwhile, German bakery company BackWerk, which operates over 280 stores across six European countries, has opened its first store in the UK under the Bake & Take brand. The self-service shop bakes croissants, pastries, loaves and breakfast rolls throughout the day, and also sells sandwiches and drinks. Customers use tongs to help themselves from display cabinets before paying at the till.”It is a great concept, which works well in this day and age, as time-pressed consumers are increasingly demanding fresh, affordable food and drink, without the wait,” said shop owner Alexander Boll.Further franchise stores are expected to be rolled out, once the first outlet has bedded in.last_img read more

Read More →

Tokyo, Hong Kong stocks falls more than 2% after Wall Street rout

first_imgHong Kong stocks also plunged in the first few minutes of trade Friday morning following a huge sell-off on Wall Street. The Hang Seng Index tumbled 2.29 percent, or 559.45 points, to 23,920.70.The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index sank 1.51 percent, or 44.09 points, to 2,876.80, and the Shenzhen Composite Index on China’s second exchange dropped 1.99 percent, or 37.04 points to 1,828.26.In Australia, the ASX also sank at the open, falling 2.87 percent or 170.90 points to 5,789.70.Wall Street stocks plunged Thursday with the Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeting 6.9 percent or more than 1,850 points to 25,128.17.After weeks of focusing on the positive side of the reopening of economies, investors shifted attention to rising coronavirus cases in some states that have reopened, including the US states of Texas and Arizona.The dollar fetched 106.78 yen in early Asian trade, against 106.86 yen in New York.In Tokyo, major shares were lower, with Toyota trading down 1.20 percent at 6,822 yen, Sony down 2.45 percent at 7,311 yen and Canon off 2.53 percent at 2,212 yen.Topics : Tokyo stocks dropped more than 2.8 percent in early trade on Friday following a plunge in United States shares on revived worries about the coronavirus and concerns about overheating equity prices.The benchmark Nikkei dropped 2.84 percent or 637.19 points to 21,835.72 in early trade, while the broader Topix index was down 2.85 percent or 45.35 points at 1,543.57.”Investors in the Japanese market were discouraged by a rout in US shares, with trade starting with sharp drops,” senior market analyst Toshiyuki Kanayama of Monex said in a commentary.last_img read more

Read More →

Renovation transforms pre-war home in hot inner Brisbane suburb

first_imgNEW WING: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: Realestate.com.auA PRE-WAR home that last sold four years ago has re-emerged on market transformed after a new wing was added to it.The five bedroom, two bathroom, double car garage house at 30 Franz Road, Clayfield, was already a million-dollar property when it sold in 2013, then the current owners decided to go one better. OLD DINING: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: CoreLogic NEW WING: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: Realestate.com.au“This delightful property has been transformed by a stunning renovation into a spacious versatile family home. The new gourmet kitchen and large family dining room open to a beautiful north facing timber deck.” NEW KITCHEN: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: Realestate.com.au OLD LIVING ZONE: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: CoreLogicThe home sits on a 670sq m block and is air-conditioned throughout and fully screened.The property is open for inspection twice on Saturday July 15 from 9.30-10am and also from 12.30-1pm. OLD BATHROOM: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: CoreLogicAmong the multiple living and entertaining areas the home now has is a formal lounge which opens onto the front veranda and private garden.During the project the bathroom and toilet area was also fully renovated.Perfect for young families, the home has a playroom/study that comes off children’s bedrooms as well as a fully fenced private yard.center_img OLD KITCHEN: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: CoreLogicThe home, which goes to auction at noon on Saturday, July 22, is in the heart of popular Brisbane suburb Clayfield.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor3 hours agoAgents Lisa Pearse-Sargeant and Janelle McKenna of Ray White Ascot were marketing it as “a surprise package”. NEW BATHROOM: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: Realestate.com.au NEW LIVING ZONE: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: Realestate.com.au NEW DINING: 30 Franz Road, Clayfield Qld 4011. Picture: Realestate.com.aulast_img read more

Read More →

PHOTO: Damen’s DOP200 Busy in Brunei

first_imgImage source: DamenA Damen’s DOP200 was recently used on a harbor deepening job in Bandar Seri Begawan of Brunei. During the project, the harbor was dredged to a max dredging depth of –11m.“The DOP200 did the job mounted on a SANYI excavator. A long stick was integrated in the excavator’s boom, reaching the required dredging depth easily,” said Damen in its announcement.The contractor, Jiangsu Tianyu Construction Group, placed the dredge unit on a work vessel for practical relocation around the harbor.Image source: Damenlast_img read more

Read More →

Dominica to consider OECS draft child maintenance bill

first_imgLocalNews Dominica to consider OECS draft child maintenance bill by: – April 4, 2011 Tweet Share 63 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Dominica is to consider a new child maintenance bill, drafted by the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) Legal Reform Unit.The draft bill covers financial provision for children’s education and medical care among other areas.Under the current legislation parents have to make available a set amount of $75 a week for their children but the draft bill does not restrict the amount to that sum, said Chief Welfare Officer Martin Anthony.“It talks about a specified amount or a lump sum so it’s not restricted to a set amount but that will be left at the discretion of the magistrate to set in a specified amount or a lump sum.”The draft bill also makes provision for the assignment of a correcting officer to receive and make the payments of parents on the order of the court.The review of family related legislation here, have long been spoken about to greater compel parents to support their children.Last month, Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said government is reviewing its child maintenance law to get tougher on fathers who neglect their responsibilities.He said government is looking at the provision of salary deductions for men who have to pay weekly and monthly maintenance fees to children.Dominica Vibes News Share Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Read More →

Dana Montgomery, 47, Aurora

first_imgDana M. Montgomery, 47, of Aurora passed away Saturday, January 20, 2018 at the Dearborn County Hospital in Lawrenceburg. She was born at Madison on March 31, 1970 the daughter of Donald and Ola Vae Roark Simon. She was married to Mark Montgomery on July 9, 2005 and he survives. Other survivors include one daughter Tiffany Barrett of Aurora; one son Nelson Montgomery of Aurora; one grandson Cooper Alan Burst; her in-laws William and Linda Montgomery of Franklin and George and Joyce Wonnell of Greensburg; three brothers James (Cindy) Simon, Wayne (Brenda) Simon, and Vincent (Kelli) Simon all of Osgood; four sisters Karen (James) Dyer of Greensburg, Shirley (Darren) Hornberger of Osgood, Donna (Lonnie) Sparks of Holton, and Barbie (Ryan) Bultman of Greensburg; brothers and sisters-in-law Steve and Terri Hake of Aurora, Leeann and George Bayne of Greensburg, and William Montgomery, Jr. of Aurora, and several nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her parents and her niece Chelsa Simon. Mrs. Montgomery was a 1988 graduate of Jac-Cen-Del High School and received her LPN degree from Ivy Tech. She worked as an LPN at the Heritage House of Greensburg for 15 years, retiring in 2012 due to health reasons. Dana enjoyed her time with her large family and for fun she enjoyed visiting the riverboats, playing euchre, and bingo. Funeral services will be held on Thursday, January 25th at 11am at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles. Dana’s brother-in-law Lonnie Sparks will officiate the service. Burial will be in the Hogan Hill Cemetery at Moores Hill. Visitation will be on Wednesday from 4pm to 8pm at the funeral home. Memorials may be given to the donor’s choice in care of the funeral home.last_img read more

Read More →

End of discussion as Newcastle United takeover talks crashes

first_img “Unfortunately, the prolonged process under the current circumstances coupled with global uncertainty has rendered the potential investment no longer commercially viable. “To that end, we feel a responsibility to the fans to explain the lack of alternatives from an investment perspective. “As an autonomous and purely commercial investor, our focus was on building long-term value for the club, its fans and the community as we remained committed to collaboration, practicality and proactivity through a difficult period of global uncertainty and significant challenges for the fans and the club. “Ultimately, during the unforeseeably prolonged process, the commercial agreement between the Investment Group and the club’s owners expired and our investment thesis could not be sustained, particularly with no clarity as to the circumstances under which the next season will start and the new norms that will arise for matches, training and other activities.” Read AlsoNewcastle’s  takeover £300m Saudi deal stalls indefinitely The decision will be a blow to Newcastle fans, who hoped the planned takeover might lead to significant investment in the club – who finished 13th in the recently concluded Premier League season. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayThe Best Cars Of All Time10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThis 1982 Movie Is Better Than Any Other Blockbuster Up Today20 Completely Unexpected Facts About ‘The Big Bang Theory’2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There? Loading… center_img The much talked about Newcastle takeover talks has hit the rocks after Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers announced a pull out. The pull out may not be unconnected with inability of the Premier League to give the go ahead on one hand and current uncertainties associated with the coronavirus pandemic. Papers regarding the proposed takeover were lodged with the Premier League in April but no further details have been forthcoming since then. The Investment Group have decided to end their interest, citing the worldwide uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic. A statement read: “With a deep appreciation for the Newcastle community and the significance of its football club, we have come to the decision to withdraw our interest in acquiring Newcastle United Football Club. “We do so with regret, as we were excited and fully committed to invest in the great city of Newcastle and believe we could have returned the club to the position of its history, tradition and fans’ merit.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →