BRP Companies seeks rezoning for huge Bed-Stuy development

first_img brooklynbrp companiesDevelopmentResidential Real EstateRezonings Tags Share via Shortlink Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink BRP Companies’ CEOs Geoff Flournoy and Meredith Marshall with an aerial 270 Nostrand Avenue in Bed-Stuy (Photos via BRP; Google Maps)A huge new rental project may be coming to the site of a former Brooklyn nursing home.BRP Companies, one of the city’s biggest affordable housing developers, has filed a rezoning application for 270 Nostrand Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, the former site of CABS Nursing Home, Bklyner reported. The facility closed several years ago and was in the process of being demolished as of 2019.BRP is seeking to build a 14-story rental building on the site, which would have 487 apartments, of which 144 would be deemed affordable. The project would also have 11,619 square feet of commercial space, including ground-floor retail and a community facility.But even though the project is at its earliest stages, it’s being met with some resistance: According to the publication, members of Community Board 3’s land use committee have taken issue with the building’s height and the affordability of its affordable units. They’d prefer the building to rise only 10 stories, and the income limits for the affordable units to be lower.Though BRP filed the rezoning application, the site is owned by a subsidiary of the Allure Group, the company at the center of the Rivington House scandal on the Lower East Side. Allure negotiated to have a deed restriction for that nursing home lifted, leading to the sale of the site to to Slate Property Group and several partners.Allure has also faced scrutiny at the Bed-Stuy site. It bought the property from CABS in 2015 for $15.6 million. A year later, the nursing home operator sued Allure, claiming that the landlord misrepresented its plans for the site, and that it forced residents out of the property, leading to the deaths of some of CABS’ residents.Allure was also sued by one of its lenders, Sabr Group, which alleged that the company fell behind on payments on a $20 million loan, and tried to force the lender to buy back the property at a 60 percent markup over a price negotiated as part of the terms of the loan.Previously, Allure had planned to bring a seven-story, 241-unit rental building to the site. The company reportedly plans to eventually transfer ownership of the site to BRP, though a spokesperson for BRP did not provide specifics to the publication.[Bklyner] — Amy Plittlast_img read more

Read More →

Students reflect on final game of the regular season

first_imgIn the final regular season game of the 2014 season, the Irish lost 49-14 in a game against USC on Saturday afternoon.The game concluded Notre Dame’s season, one that saw the University climb to No. 5 in the AP Poll after a perfect 6-0 start and fall out of the rankings after losing five of the next six games, finishing with a 7-5 overall record.The Irish were well supported in Los Angeles, as a strong Notre Dame contingent traveled to support the team, freshman Kelly Loughran said.“The tailgating environment was a lot of fun at the game,” Loughran said. “I was impressed by how well represented the Notre Dame fans were in Southern California.”Junior Lisa Wuertz said she was also impressed by the University’s committed fans.“One of my favorite parts of away games is seeing Notre Dame fans traveling from all over the country,” Wuertz said. “I sat in the Notre Dame section. There were a ton of Irish fans.”In the face of the USC loss, ND fans left the game with mixed reactions.“One positive is we have a month off to get ready for the bowl game and finally get healthy,” sophomore Ryan Loughran said.“The worst part was definitely the score, but enjoying one last Notre Dame game this year made it completely worth it,” Kelly Loughran said.Ryan Loughran said with the close of the regular season, he was curious about the possible quarterback competition between sophomore Malik Zaire and senior Everett Golson.“There needed to be some type of change to put a fire into this team,” Ryan Loughran said. “I don’t know who [Irish head coach Brian] Kelly will go with, but there definitely is a QB controversy.”Zaire took over the quarterback responsibilities from Golson during the second quarter of the game and ran for one of the Irish touchdowns. In addition to the quarterback switch, Kelly also subbed in redshirt freshman Mike McGlinchey at offensive tackle for fifth-year senior Christian Lombard.“We have a lot injuries, so it’s hard to really judge where we will be next year,” Wuertz said. “I thought Malik looked good and was a good change of pace.”In spite of the loss, the Irish were able to finish with a winning record for a seventh consecutive season.“With young teams, bowl preparation can be very beneficial to the development of a team leading into the offseason,” said Ryan Loughran.After a series of disappointing losses, the Irish aim to end the year on a high note as they turn their attention to bowl game preparation.Students say they are ready to move on.“I’m indifferent about a bowl game,” Wuertz said. “I sort of want to just start a new season and forget about the negatives from this one.”Currently, the Irish are predicted to play against the University of Tennessee in the Belk Bowl on December 30 in Charlotte, North Carolina.Tags: game wrap, USClast_img read more

Read More →

Cech undergoes successful surgery

first_img “Petr Cech successfully underwent surgery today (Wednesday) following his shoulder dislocation in the Champions League semi-final first leg against Atletico Madrid,” read a statement on the club’s official website. “He will be out for approximately eight to 10 weeks.” Cech’s position as number one at Stamford Bridge next season is expected to come under scrutiny with the impending return of Thibaut Courtois from his loan spell at Atletico Madrid. The Belgian played a major role in the Blues’ Champions League exit against Atletico and could pose a major threat next term when he returns in the summer after three seasons out on loan. Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech has undergone successful surgery on his shoulder injury, the club have announced. Press Associationcenter_img The 31-year-old dislocated his shoulder in the Champions League semi-final first-leg against Atletico Madrid and had been widely expected to miss the rest of the campaign. The club have now confirmed that the Czech international will miss the next eight to 10 weeks, meaning Mark Schwarzer will continue in goal for the final match of the season against Cardiff on Sunday. last_img read more

Read More →