first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SATURDAYDowntown Cup Tullyvinney Rovers 1 Arranmore United 3Chances were few and far between in the first half of this battle between two second division teams in the Downtown Cup. Tullyvinney came closest to scoring at the end of the half when a Marty Alexander strike brought the best out of the Arranmore goalkeeper. Daniel McNulty fired the rebound over the bar.Arranmore came out with all guns blazing for the second half. They got their first after only one minute when a long ball over the top found Chris Mc Glanaghey who made no mistake. Three minutes later the Islanders got their second when Michael Regan reacted quickest to a loose ball and slotted home to double the advantage. Tullyvinney had a good chance to get back into the game when a long ball over the top from Stephen Devine was latched onto by McNulty but he put the ball wide of the net.The third Arranmore goal came in the 70th minute when Dan O’Donnell turned in a Chris Mc Glanaghey cross effectively killing off the game. Tullyvinney battled hard to get back into the game and were rewarded for their efforts when Mervyn White scored his first of the season from a McNulty corner. It finished 3-1 to the visitors after a match played in good spirits by both teams. Best for Arranmore: Mark Ward, Gerard Diver and Ben Mc Garvey. Team performance from Tullyvinney.Donegal Town Reserves 4 Fintown Harps AFC 5A late show from Fintown stole the points with two goals in the dying minutes denied the home side victory. In an entertaining game played at the Hospital Field Fintown went ahead early when Darragh Gallagher poked home at the near post. Daniel Mc Hugh got Donegal back in the game with an excellent finish shortly after. McHugh then doubled his tally to put Donegal in front on the twenty minute mark. Aaron Thompson levelled with a tidy finish from inside the area before McHugh sealed an impressive first half hat-trick tapping in after wonderful work out wide from Nathan Ward. After the break Fintown pushed on and were level again when Thompson scored from a set piece. McHugh was proving unstoppable at this stage and pounced again inside the area beating two men and sliding the ball under the advancing ‘keeper. It stayed that way until the final minutes when two quick Fintown goals meant a win for the Cup holders. Brian Delaney got the equaliser with a fine header and Aaron Thompson won it in the dying seconds scoring from a corner. Best for Donegal was the outstanding Daniel McHugh with Fintown putting in a good team performance.Milford United Reserves 1 Glenea United Reserves 2Glenea went away with all three points after a closely fought affair in Moyle View. Milford welcomed back Damian Casey into the midfield after a long lay-off through injury. Both teams had plenty of possession in the first half without creating any real goal scoring opportunities. Dean Gallagher broke the deadlock on the half hour when he reacted quickest to a cross into the box to beat the keeper with a fine header. In the second half Milford were content to sit back and try to hit Glenea on the break and this paid off when Ciran Blaney raced onto a through ball and was taken down in the box with JJ Fleming dispatching the resultant penalty. The game looked like it was heading for a draw until ten minutes from the end when Milford gifted Glenea possession and Gallagher raced clear to grab his second. Milford had the ball in the net right at the end but it was ruled out for an infringement on the keeper. Ramelton Mariners 0 Glencar Celtic 4(No Report Available)Glenree United Reserves 0 Mulroy Celtic 1A closely contested first half saw the better chances come the way of the hosts. Cathal Mc Ginley’s 34th minute effort came closest to breaking the deadlock but the ball crashed off the underside of the bar before bouncing on the goal-line and into the Mulroy keeper’s hands. Karl Mc Elhinney almost put the home side in front only to see his effort cleared off the line by the visiting left-back. The visitors got their act together in the second half and started to use the ball more effectively but still couldn’t create a clear cut opportunity with Paul Coyle and Eamon Sweeney both having shots from long range to no avail. In the 70th minute the Mulroy got a free kick on the edge of the penalty box and it was floated in for Charlie Talbot to rise highest at the back post to nod home. The home side never really settled in the second half and didn’t create many chances. Both sides had half chances as time ran out. Good team performance by Mulroy Celtic. Best for Glenree United Reserves were Cathal Mc Ginley and Max Davis. Orchard F.C. 5 Keadue Rovers Reserves 2Orchard collected all three points from this Downtown Cup match with Sean Sweeney bagging a hat-trick in the first 45minutes. Orchard opened the scoring on thirteen minutes when Steven Toye was brought down in the box. Sweeney stepped up to hammer home the spot kick. Sweeney got his and Orchard’s second when he rounded three men on the edge of the box and bent his shot into the top corner in the twenty fifth minute. Keadue went close with attempts from Hanlon and Green but found Mc Laughlin in the Orchard net in fine form. Orchard where awarded their second penalty in the forth second minute and Sweeney slotted home his third goal.The second half started with Orchard on top and Andrew Doherty slotted home from inside the box. Keadue fought back and Adrian Hanlon fired home a rebound after a free-kick. They added their second on seventy five minutes when Ryan Green shot home from distance. Orchard wrapped up the game with five minutes to go when a Niall Bonner free kick was deflected into the Keadue net. Best for Orchard: Barney McMenamin, Chic McLaughlin and Sean SweeneyBest for Keadue: Adrian Hanlon. Referee: Barry HunterCranford United Reserves 2 Strand Rovers 2Cranford started well and had a number of chances through Conor Shiels and Dale McFadden. Strand came into the game and after a quick free kick Adrian Hanlon finished neatly into the corner to put Strand one up. Cranford equalised when Chris Duffy scored from the edge of the box. The second half started with Cranford pressing but Strand took the lead when Brendan Brennan scored after a defensive mix-up. Kyle Black then rounded the keeper to level the match and a share of the spoils was a fair outcomeCastlefin Celtic Reserves 2 St. Catherines Reserves 1Castlefin welcomed St.Catherines to Park View on Saturday. Castlefin looked the brighter in the opening exchanges, hitting the St.Catherines woodwork twice. Castlefin took the lead on twenty six minutes after Gary McNulty found Brian Dooher unmarked. Dooher beat the defence and rounded the keeper to break the deadlock. St.Catherines found an equaliser when a 30 yard free kick was parried by the Castlefin netminder into the path of Stephen Anderson who scored on thirty nine minutes. As both teams pressed for a winner Mark Lafferty squared the ball to Colin Carlin in the box, on eighty five minutes, and he beat the keeper to settle the result in favour of the home team. Best for Castlefin: David Stewart. Team performance from St. Catherines. Referee: Kevin DohertyDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTSSUNDAYUlster Junior CupErne Wanderers 1 Aileach F.C. 5Erne Wanderers hosted Aileach F.C. on Sunday at the Lakeside Centre in glorious conditions. Erne were slow out of the traps and got caught on ten minutes when their centre back hit a clearance straight to the No. 10 and he drilled a thunderbolt into bottom corner from twenty yards. Erne were up against it after this but they grew into the game and started to get some joy with the industrious running of Cleary and Curneen. They found an equaliser on 35 minutes when Cleary pulled of the centre back and was brilliantly found with a chip from David Dolan and Cleary dispatched from twelve yards. Erne were holding their own after this but suffered a blow in added time when the left winger found the bottom corner with the last kick of the half. Wanderers suffered another blow two minutes into the second half when a clearance was cut out in midfield. The midfielder curled his effort into the top corner from all of 30 yards with O’Brien having no chance in nets. Erne still didn’t give up and created three or four chances until full time but all to no avail. Aileach added a further two goals on 65 and 75 minutes. Great effort from the home team against a very classy Inishowen side. Referee: Ronan FloydBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionDonegal Town 2 Lifford Celtic 0Donegal Town maintained their unbeaten home record this season with a hard fought win over Lifford Celtic at the Hospital Field. Donegal started the game well and went close when a Conor Mc Monagle effort went just past the post. Neither team really created any clear cut chances after that as both sides cancelled each other out. The deadlock was broken five minutes before half time when Daniel Mc Garrigle earned a free kick out wide for Donegal. Ciarán O’Reilly’s well struck free kick beat everybody to sneak in at the far post to give the home side the lead. Lifford pressed after the break and looked increasingly dangerous but the Donegal central defensive pair of Farragher and Byrne held strong. Lifford’s best chance came when Ross Porter jinked his way into the box only to be denied superbly by Donegal stopper Dermot Mc Cafferty. With time running out the reigning champions pushed men forward in search of the equaliser. Kevin Mc Brearty went close with a well hit free kick which dipped over the wall but caught the top of the crossbar. As Lifford drove forward they were increasingly susceptible to the counter attack. It was from this that Donegal sealed the win as Clint Walsh broke through late on and chipped the advancing ‘keeper to seal a crucial win for the Town. Good team performances from both sides. Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle.Rathmullan Celtic 2 Kilmacrennan Celtic 0A brace from Rathmullan Celtic’s starlet Oisin McMenamin sealed a comprehensive victory for the Seasiders over their local rivals Kilmacrennan Celtic at the Flagpole. The Seasiders took the lead after 20 minutes when Paddy Burger whipped in a cross from the right wing which was finished with aplomb by McMenamin inside the area to set the Hoops on their way. Although the home side dominated the opening period Kilmac almost snatched an equaliser as the half time whistle loomed when Seamie Peoples hit an opportunist strike from 35 yards out which required a full stretch finger tip save from Ian Strain to deny the midfielder.The Hoops started strong in the second period with Dara Patton testing the Kilmac keeper early on. The midfield tussle swayed with Kilmac coming into contention mid way through the half and Trevor Alcorn sneaking in behind the stout Hoops defence but the danger man was closed down by a fine Shea Coyle tackle. On 83 minutes Eamonn Sheridan played a superlative lob over the Kilmac defence onto the path of Niall Doherty who saw his first time volley go inches over Mark Gallagher’s crossbar in what would have been a contender for goal of the season. With full time looming the Hoops finally put the clash of the Celts beyond doubt when, following another Rathmullan attack, the ball fell to McMenamin at the edge of the area and the star striker unleashed a pulsating strike that took a slight deflection into the bottom corner to seal the points. Best for Rathmullan Celtic: Kieran Gorman, Shea Coyle and Eamonn Sheridan. Best for Kilmacrennan Celtic: Gavin and Gary Gorman.Gweedore Celtic 1 St. Catherines 1It was honours even at An Screabán in a closely contested game. The home team had a let-off on fifteen minutes when a shot from St. Catherines came off the keeper and hit the post before being scrambled to safety. Gweedore took the lead on twenty five minutes with Declan Doherty beating the offside trap before rounding the keeper and sliding home from an acute angle. On forty minutes the sides were level, a fine individual goal by Jason Noctor running through the home defence before smashing it past the keeper.St Catherines started the second half brightly with Christopher Sweeney being called into action to tip a free kick over the bar. Gweedore came into it as the half progressed with Declan Doherty tirelessly running at the St. Catherines defence. The home team could have taken the lead on 80 minutes when a slip by the keeper allowed Thomas Diver a shot but the keeper recovered to push the ball round the post. A good team performance by St Catherines with Jamie Boyle and Declan Doherty doing well for Gweedore. Referee: Joe McHughGlenea United 4 Curragh Athletic 1In fine condition for football it was the home side that came out on top with a hard earned victory. In the first half the home side dominated proceedings but were unable to create any clear cut chances. Curragh were looking to play on the break and took the lead on 30 minutes from the penalty spot, Ryan Carlin converted. Glenea almost got back on level terms before half-time when Sean McBride got onto Ryan McFadden’s through ball but he saw his effort well saved by the visiting keeper. Glenea equalised at the start of the second half when Ryan McFadden took advantage of hesitation in the visiting defence to drive the ball home. Glenea continued to press for the lead goal but were unable to convert a number of chances that came their way. The home side took the lead on 75 minutes when John Harley’s cross found Ryan McFadden and he slotted the ball home. Glenea increased their lead on 80 minutes when, after good work by Donal Coll down the right, his cross found Sean McBride in the box. Mc Bride controlled the ball and drilled it home. Glenea completed the scoring on 88 minutes when Kevin Mulhern got onto a Sean Maguire through ball and lifted it over the keeper. Best for Glenea were Sean Coll, Donal Coll and Ryan McFadden while Ryan Carlin was best for Curragh. Referee: Ed MooreWatson Hire Division OneCastlefin Celtic 1 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 5Kerrykeel took the lead after 30 seconds when Jonny Friel found himself one on one with the Castlefin keeper and he slipped the ball into the net. Friel got his and Kerrykeel’s second after a smart freekick allowed him to guide it into the back of the net with his head. Castlefin’s first chance of the game fell to Simon Mc Glinchey after 20 minutes but his long range shot went narrowly over the bar. On the stroke of half time Jonny Friel should have completed his hat-trick but his shot went wide of the post. Mark Friel made it 3-0 to Kerrykeel on fifty three minutes when he capitalised on a bit of slack defending. Castlefin pulled one back in the 60th minute when Michael Dunnion crossed into the box to find the head of Matthew O’Rourke who finished well. Kerrykeel made it 4-1 when Mark Friel got his second goal with a brilliant 30 yard strike into the roof of the net giving Castlefin keeper Paul Lafferty no chance on seventy minutes. On 87 minutes Kerrykeel grabbed their 5th goal when Fergal Friel tapped the ball into the bottom corner amidst a goalmouth scramble. Best for Castlefin: Mark Carlin and Matthew O’Rourke.Best for Kerrykeel: Team Performance. Referee: Paddy DuffyDrumoghill F.C. 3 Gweedore United 0Drumoghill FC underlined their promotion aspirations with this crucial victory over fellow challengers Gweedore United. First half goals from Damian Crossan, Michael Doherty and Liam O’Donnell were ultimately the difference between the sides in a game that, despite the scoreline, could really have went either way. In an open game both teams started brightly as play swung from end to end but it was Drumoghill who opened the scoring on 17minutes when Damien Crossan latched onto a Karlos Rodgers pass to prod home. Gweedore had chances to equalise but found Mc Cready in inspired form in goals for Drumoghill. Drumoghill though were nothing if not efficient and doubled their advantage on 29 minutes through Michael Doherty after he raced onto McIntyre’s hopeful ball to hammer home. Gweedore had little chance to respond before Liam O’Donnell had made it 3-0, the striker reacting quickest in the box after Gweedore had failed to deal with Rodger’s corner. The second half saw Gweedore dominant in possession but found Lynch and Chris O’Donnell dominant at the back for Drumoghill as they ran out comfortable winners.Dunkineely Celtic 4 Keadue Rovers 0Dunkineely’s recent good form continued with this victory over Keadue at Darney Park. Keadue had the best of the early exchanges and saw a headed effort come off the bar following a corner on six minutes. On 15 minutes Adrian Hanlon had a close range shot well saved by John Mc Mullin. This let off seemed to waken the home team and they started to come more into the game. Andrew Mackey had a shot blocked on 22 minutes and Declan Murrin was just off target with a header following a corner. Dunkineely were containing the Keadue attack better as the half wore on and restricted them to long range shots. Mark Sweeney had an effort from 25 yards tipped over. On 40 minutes Adrian Nesbitt had a shot from the edge of the box go narrowly wide.On the restart Keadue went on the attack and a long range effort from Sweeney hit the post. Dunkineely took the lead on 56 minutes when a quickly taken free by Andrew Mackey sent Cian Kennedy away on the right wing and he cut inside and fired home from the edge of the area. A minute later Andrew Mackey shot narrowly wide when put through by Adrian Nesbitt. Adrian Hanlon had a long range effort tipped over on the hour mark. Two minutes Dunkineely scored their second and effectively killed off the game. Cian Kennedy’s deep cross was met at the back post by Adrian Nesbitt and he finished well past the keeper. Keadue tried hard to get back into the game and had a close range effort saved by the home keeper on 75 minutes. Dunkineely were now well on top with Keadue restricted to long range efforts. They got their third on 80 minutes when Cian Kennedy played a great through ball to Andrew Mackey who ran through to finish from 12 yards. The home team rounded of the scoring on 90 minutes when Adrian Nesbitt robbed a defender at the corner flag and broke into the box before crossing for Andrew Mackey to score from close range. Best for Dunkineely were Cian Kennedy and Andrew Mackey while Mark Sweeney worked tirelessly for Keadue. Referee: Victor RaineyCappry Rovers 4 Lagan Harps 1Cappry took the lead in this game after 14 minutes when Gary Dunnion scored with a header from a Benny Mc Laughlin cross. Lagan got back level with an Austin Marron shot into the bottom corner. The home team started the second half much brighter. Kevin Mc Glynn hit the crossbar from a Benny Mc Laughlin cross the ball fell to Alan Patton who shot through a crowd of players but seen his effort hit the post and go out for a goal kick. Cappry took the lead again on the 69th minute when Darren O’Leary headed home a Brian Lafferty free kick. Lagan pushed hard to get back on level terms but the home defence held firm. In the 86th minute Brendan Mc Laughlin got the goal he deserved when he rounded the Lagan keeper, after a through ball from Alan Patton, and tapped into an empty net. In the 88th minute Cappry got their 4th when, with his first touch after coming on, Kyle Lafferty headed a Darren O’Leary free kick into the bottom corner. Best for Cappry: Gary Dunnion, Dylan Ramsey and Brendan Mc Laughlin. Best for Lagan: Damien Mc Fadden and Drew Connolly. Referee Martin Mc AnennyCT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps 1 Whitestrand United 0Deele Harps kept all three points at home when they defeated Whitestrand United in this Division Two clash in Lifford. After sixty minutes of entertaining football during which both sides failed to break the deadlock the visitors were awarded a penalty which they failed to convert. Deele, reduced to ten men, found some extra bite as the game entered the closing fifteen minutes and Shane Gallagher, as he so often does, found the target to give his side an important victory against a Whitestrand side that has had a very good start to the season. Both sets of players are to be commended on an entertaining match. Referee: Marty QuinnBallybofey United 1 Convoy Arsenal 1A share of the spoils was a fair outcome from this CT Ball Division Two match between Ballybofey United and Convoy Arsenal. Convoy took the lead after fifteen minutes of the second half when Michael Melaugh prodded the ball home during a goalmouth scramble. Both sides cancelled each other out around the centre of the pitch and chances were at a premium. Ballybofey got a deserved equaliser with only three minutes remaining. David White drove the ball across the Convoy six yard box and Darragh Redmond got the all important touch to divert the ball into the Convoy Net. Best for Ballybofey United: John Gregg and Sean Bonner. Convoy Arsenal put in a team performance.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAYDowntown CupTullyvinney Rovers 1 v 3 Arranmore UnitedDonegal Town Reserves 4 v 5 Fintown Harps AFCMilford United Reserves 1 v 2 Glenea United ReservesRamelton Mariners 0 v 4 Glencar CelticGlenree United Reserves 0 v 1 Mulroy CelticOrchard F.C. 5 v 2 Keadue Rovers ReservesCranford United Reserves 2 v 2 Strand RoversCastlefin Celtic Reserves 2 v 1 St. Catherines ReservesSUNDAYUlster Junior CupErne Wanderers 1 v 5 Aileach F.C.Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionDonegal Town 2 v 0 Lifford CelticRathmullan Celtic 2 v 0 Kilmacrennan CelticGweedore Celtic 1 v 1 St. CatherinesGlenea United 4 v 1 Curragh AthleticWatson Hire Division OneCastlefin Celtic 1 v 5 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.Drumoghill F.C. 3 v 0 Gweedore UnitedDunkineely Celtic 4 v 0 Keadue RoversCappry Rovers 4 v 1 Lagan HarpsCT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps 1 v 0 Whitestrand UnitedBallybofey United 1 v 1 Convoy ArsenalDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 07-12-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Downtown CupArranmore United v Ramelton Mariners (K.O. 1 p.m.)Glenea United Reserves v Curragh Athletic ReservesFintown Harps AFC v Milford United ReservesErne Wanderers v Tullyvinney RoversGlenree United Reserves v Gweedore United ReservesKeadue Rovers Reserves v Mulroy CelticStrand Rovers v St. Catherines ReservesCranford United Reserves v Castlefin Celtic ReservesSUNDAY 08-12-2013FAI Junior Cup 5th RoundWeston Villa v Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic v Gweedore CelticMilford United v Rathmullan CelticDonegal Town v Glenea UnitedCurragh Athletic v Cranford UnitedSt. Catherines v Lifford CelticWatson Hire Division OneDrumoghill F.C. v Castlefin CelticDunkineely Celtic v Gweedore UnitedLagan Harps v Bonagee UnitedCappry Rovers v Keadue RoversCT Ball Division TwoRaphoe Town v Whitestrand UnitedDunlewy Celtic v Glenree UnitedDrumbar F.C. v Ballybofey UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic v Deele HarpsDONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: December 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img read more

Read More →