AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“I did, and then I got fired,” Bonds told a group of about 450 people in the audience. “Shame on me, huh?” Bonds, who broke Hank Aaron’s home run record with No. 756 on Aug. 7, was told last month by Giants owner Peter Magowan that he would not be brought back for a 16th season in San Francisco. Bonds, dressed in a dark suit jacket and tie, entered to a roaring standing ovation and repeatedly drew loud applause from an adoring crowd through the nearly 90-minute forum. They chanted, “Bar-ry! Bar-ry!” One person hollered, “We love you.” Others took pictures on cell phone cameras or sported shirts with Bonds’ No. 25. Yes, this was a glorified pep rally in a swanky downtown San Francisco hotel featuring five ovations and two of those standing – for a star baseball player who didn’t even stick around when his team paid tribute to him with a video presentation during the final home game of the year. Outside the ballroom where he spoke, Game 1 of the World Series showed on a TV. “I don’t have fans in San Francisco – this is my family,” said Bonds, who used to bounce around the clubhouse at Candlestick Park as a boy while hanging out with his late father, Bobby, and Hall of Fame godfather Willie Mays. From news services Barry Bonds is just a tad bitter about his departure from the San Francisco Giants. The 43-year-old home run king heard a long list of his accomplishments read during a special speaking forum Wednesday night hosted by the Commonwealth Club, then was asked by KGO Radio host Ray Taliaferro if he’d really reached all those feats. Fourteen All-Star game selections. A record seven NL MVPs. Eight Gold Glove awards. When Taliaferro asked about Bonds’ many splash-hit home runs, the slugger replied, “They call it McCovey Cove, but I’ve rewritten it a little bit.” That part of San Francisco Bay beyond the right field arcade of the Giants’ waterfront ballpark is named for Hall of Famer Willie McCovey. Bonds, who just completed his 22nd major league season, has 762 career homers. Taliaferro read select questions from members of an audience that included actor Danny Glover, one asking Bonds whether he would play for $5 million and bat fifth for San Francisco if that were an option for 2008. “I told Peter Magowan, `If I’m a part-time player, I’m still better than your full-time player, and it’s a wise idea to keep me,”‘ Bonds said. “We still have time. Things might change.” Bonds also said that if he were running the franchise, the Giants would have won a World Series by now. They fell five outs short in 2002, and one thing the slugger is still missing on his remarkable resume is a championship ring. “They’ve been here since 1958,” Bonds said. “We’d win a World Series. I know the game so well. I can see talent. I know exactly what I’d be looking for.” Is the club any closer to winning it all? “I can’t answer that. I don’t work there anymore,” Bonds quipped, then howled in laughter. “My philosophy in sports is you don’t break things up. You add to it.” He soon added: “I’m rooting for the Giants. I’m not rooting against the Giants. This is my hometown.” A move to the American League as a DH would be the logical next step for Bonds, whose balky knees and age have contributed to him being a step slow in left field lately. “I would consider DHing for the Yankees. Unfortunately, the Yankees have two DHs, so that dream would never happen,” Bonds said. “I’m out enjoying my life. I don’t know at this point what my plans are in the future.” Red Sox to the Ravine? The Dodgers are attempting to negotiate one and possibly two exhibition games with the Red Sox to be played at Dodger Stadium next spring. The games would be a final tuneup for the Dodgers before they begin the regular season on March 31 against San Francisco. A Dodgers source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the Red Sox’s visit hinges on several factors. The Angels, who traditionally conclude the spring with a three-game exhibition series against the Dodgers, have released a spring-training schedule that shows them playing only one game with the Dodgers on March 27 at Angel Stadium. That leaves March 28-30 still open on the Dodgers’ spring schedule. The Red Sox are tentatively scheduled to begin the regular season against Oakland earlier that week in Tokyo, but that isn’t set in stone. If it happens, a one- or two-day stopoff in Los Angeles on the way back from Japan might help alleviate jet lag before the Red Sox begin the more conventional portion of their regular-season schedule. The Red Sox are one of the league’s biggest drawing cards, meaning an appearance at Dodger Stadium theoretically would create a financial windfall for the Dodgers, who didn’t come close to selling out either of this year’s home exhibitions with the Angels. The Dodgers still are under consideration to play at least one spring-training game in China in early March. Dodgers promote Watson Dodgers player development director DeJon Watson was promoted to assistant general manager for player development. Watson, 41, just completed his first season running the club’s minor-league operations. The move gives General Manager Ned Colletti three assistants in Watson, Kim Ng and Logan White. “I’m still going to do the player development stuff, but I will spend more time with the big-league club than I did this past season, especially during spring training,” Watson said. “During the season, I will see the club a lot more at home and also catch the club on the road as I’m doing my minor league stuff. And I’ll also spend a lot more time with Ned.” Also, the Dodgers promoted Todd Tomczyk to assistant trainer, replacing Stan Johnston, and hired Brendon Huttman as strength and conditioning coach, replacing Doug Jarrow. Johnston and Jarrow were not retained after the season. Meanwhile, the club also named Sue Falsone physical therapist, making her the first female ever to occupy that position for a major-league club. Lifetime Achievement Award honors O’Neil One of the game’s most beloved ambassadors, Buck O’Neil was posthumously honored by the Hall of Fame with a Lifetime Achievement Award named in his memory. Commissioner Bud Selig was on hand for the announcement at Fenway Park before the World Series opener. O’Neil, a Negro Leagues star and the first black coach in the majors, fell two votes shy of induction into the Hall of Fame during a special election in February 2006. He died last October at age 94. “His impact on the game has been enormous,” Selig said. “He’s now in Cooperstown where he belongs.” A statue of O’Neil will be erected inside the museum, and the Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to a worthy recipient no more than every three years. “I don’t think this is necessarily trying to right a wrong. I think we’re just trying to honor a person,” said former Cincinnati Reds star Joe Morgan, vice chairman of the Hall of Fame. “There are a lot of people who are not elected to the Hall of Fame that the public, myself included, think should be in. It doesn’t mean that we should try to go out and fix something.” An astute spokesman for the Negro Leagues with a light-up-the-room smile, O’Neil gained worldwide fame in 1994 after historian Ken Burns featured him in the documentary “Baseball.” Yankees could hire manager this week The New York Yankees could hire a new manager by the end of this week. “It’s possible,” Hank Steinbrenner said, adding that the process could extend longer. “We want to get it done as soon as possible.” Hank, son of owner George Steinbrenner, spoke on his way into Legends Field in Tampa, Fla., before first-base coach Tony Pe a became the third candidate to interview for the job that opened when Joe Torre quit last week. Yankees broadcaster Joe Girardi interviewed Monday and bench coach Don Mattingly on Tuesday. Mattingly is considered the favorite. Mattingly has been a coach for the Yankees for four seasons, the first three as hitting coach. Teams aren’t allowed to announce moves during the World Series, but the Yankees could ask Commissioner Bud Selig for permission if they’d like to name a successor on off days Friday or Tuesday. Hank Steinbrenner said last week the team planned to consider five or six candidates but the Yankees may limit the field to the original trio. “It’s starting to look more and more that way,” he said. Staff writer Tony Jackson contributed to this notebook. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!