Engage Sport summer camp at Robert Ogilvie next week

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — Engage Sport North is bringing a series of week long Sport Discovery Camps for kids to Fort St. John this summer.Children will get an opportunity to try and test out a variety of sports with community coaches and leaders at the camp. The camp is taking place during the week of July 10th – 14th Robert Olilvie Elementary School from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. For the first week of camp next week, kids aged 4-12 get in for free. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian aged 16 and up.For more information call or email Chantiel at 250-794-3308,  cdrschiwiski@engagesportnorth.com, call Jade Mah at 250-794-7544, or visit engagesportnorth.com.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Read More →

Federal funding for popular Fish Creek trail

first_imgBy Energeticcity.ca staffThe Fish Creek Community Forest will undergo a facelift following a nearly $46,000 federal grant. The popular trail in Fort St. John qualified for the Recreation Infrastructure Canada Program, which is part of Canada’s Economic Action Plan. – Advertisement -Funding will go towards rebuilding fencing, repairing stairs, upgrading trails and rehabilitating the forest. In a statment released on Monday, Fort St. John Mayor Bruce Lantz announced that the money will help improve pedestrian safety on the Community Forest trails, improve signage and other amenities, and create jobs for unemployed forestry workers.last_img read more

Read More →

Sultans qualify five for state

first_imgHoover wasn’t the only wrestler to lose his undefeated record Saturday. Rancho Cucamonga’s Ryan Eagleson lost his first match of the day, 19-11 to Bobby Scofield of Dana Hills, the top-ranked 130-pounder in the state. “He looked competitive off the bat, took him down early, then it got out of hand,” Cougars coach Rangi Smith said of Eagleson, who is now 46-1. “He definitely wants another shot at (Scofield).” Eagleson, who had never been to the CIF State meet before this year, settled for third place in his bracket. Teammate Corey Castillo also is making his first trip to Bakersfield after placing fifth in the at 125. Cajon’s two-man Bakersfield contingent is its largest since 1985. Alfonso Hernandez placed eighth at 130 and Jesse Moreno, who sat out his final two matches with a shoulder injury, went sixth at 135. A pair of East county wrestlers had a chance at individual championships Saturday. Barstow senior Donavan Barela lost 11-3 to Scofield in the 130-pound final, and Yucca Valley junior Vinny Maraj (152) took second place at the Masters meet for the second straight season. He also became the first Trojan wrestler ever to make state in three straight years. “I’m a little bummed I didn’t get to wrestle in the finals,” Maraj said after a nerve injury forced him to sit out the championship match, “but I plan on doing better this year (at state).” As a 140-pounder in 2006, Maraj took eighth in state. Huntington Beach Marina sophomore Victory Anthony, the first female to compete in the CIF-SS Masters meet since its inception in 1983, was eliminated in her first match Saturday. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “Everyone that came here qualified,” Sultana head coach Rocky Humphrey said of his squad. “And once you get to state, I’ve seen numerous third, fourth, fifth and sixth-place finishers win state titles.” Junior Jarrod Brooksher avenged last week’s loss to Rim of the World senior Isaac Whisner in the 145-pound championship, winning 3-1 for the team’s only Masters title. He’ll be joined in Bakersfield by teammates Cody Bollinger (second, 140), Eli McWatters (second, 160), Zac Sweeney (third, 215) and Erik Baker (fifth, 135). RIALTO – Sultana High School made history. And Anthony Gonzalez made Ryan Hoover angry. Five Sultans wrestlers qualified for the CIF-State meet at the Southern Section Masters tournament Saturday, the most in school history. center_img Crosstown rival Hesperia qualified five wrestlers too, but a championship-match loss by its undefeated heavyweight Hoover was the day’s biggest surprise. Hoover was leading Gonzalez, a senior from Rosemead, 3-1 with 1:04 left in the second period. Then in a flash of quickness that belied their size, Gonzalez sent Hoover to the mat and pinned him, breaking a streak of 52 straight wins dating back to last year’s state meet. “He tried to shoot on me, and I caught him,” said Gonzalez, who lost to Hoover 10-3 at the Tournament of Champions in December. Hoover declined an interview request as he left the Carter High gymnasium, but Hesperia coach Dave Stidham said that Hoover “thinks (the loss) might give other wrestlers a mental edge, and we’ve got to get that out of his mind.” The other Scorpions to advance were Daniel Gudino (sixth, 130), Dominick Reyes (seventh, 171) and Justin Correa (eighth, 189). last_img read more

Read More →

MAN BLAMES SKIN TABLETS AND ANTI-DEPRESSANTS FOR DOLE OFFICE RAMMING

first_imgA man who caused €50,000 worth of damage when he rammed his jeep into a pub and a dole office has blamed skin tablets for the incident.Th scene of the crash at the dole office in Buncrana on December 27th, 2013.Joseph McGonagle, of Muff, has claimed that he was suffering from “involuntary intoxication” during the incidents. The 41 year old told his barrister that he was suffering from depression for a year and a half before the incident on December 27th, 2013.He had been taking bipolar medication as well as anti-depressants for the conditions when he crashed into a pub at Sappagh, Muff as well as another vehicle and then the social welfare offices in Buncrana.However, two weeks before the incidents a doctor prescribed him a steroid medication for a skin condition.Barrister Ms Charlotte Simpson outlined Mr McGonagle’s situation and said there was a “very strong possibility” of the defence of involuntary intoxication.She said McGonagle, of Aught Road, Muff, “felt like his head was going to explode.”She made an application for legal aid to provide for Senior Counsel, saying it was an unusual defence and for medical evidence to be provided in the case.Ms Simpson said that this had an impact on McGonagle and it was reflected in his interview with Gardai.She said he simply could not explain his actions on the night.“He has no grievance with social welfare, or with the pub that he drove into,” she added.Judge John O’Hagan granted the application.The case was adjourned until next term in April to allow time to allocate Senior Counsel to the case and provision of medical reports.MAN BLAMES SKIN TABLETS AND ANTI-DEPRESSANTS FOR DOLE OFFICE RAMMING was last modified: January 28th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Buncrana dole officedonegalJoseph McGonaglerammingskin conditionlast_img read more

Read More →

VIDEO: Spanish lower league side Atletico Astorga unveil Incredible Hulk kit

first_imgIt’s that time of year again when kits gets leaked online.But forget the European heavyweights, Spanish Segunda B club Atletico Astorga have released a quite ludicrous – but amazing – ‘Incredible Hulk’ home jersey for 2017/18.Astorga usually play in green anyway, but going full-on Hulk was a natural progression according to club officials.And the Spanish lower league side showed they had more than an eye for detail after adding a faux pair of tattered denim shorts to match.Watch the kit unveiling above….last_img read more

Read More →

‘The best thing for me would be to leave,’ says Tottenham and Man City target

first_imgAnd in an honest interview with Marca in Russia, the 24-year-old candidly revealed he believes leaving LaLiga giants Real is the best thing for his career.Kovacic only made 21 LaLiga appearances last season, although injury did play a part in this, but his role as back-up has finally taken its toll.He gave a frank assessment of his situation and will have alerted Spurs and Man City to his possible availability. Paul Pogba buys France World Cup winners specially designed rings Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland SUPERSTITION 3 take zlat “I would like to play more at Real Madrid because I love football and I love being on the pitch,” Kovacic said.“I know that it’s difficult to be a starter at Real Madrid, especially when I arrived at a really young age.“I understand the situation, but because of that I believe the best thing for me would be to go to another club where I’d have the opportunity to play regularly as a starter.“I think I can have this opportunity and it’s one I want right now.” You’re the one talkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this year’s 2018 FIFA World Cup™ with over 800 hours of World Cup content and all 64 games live across the talkSPORT network. Croatia and Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic in action at World Cup 2018. 3 LIVING THE DREAM Arsenal ace heading for January exit as German club ready bid for midfielder Latest World Cup 2018 news And while Kovacic acknowledges his role at LaLiga giants Real is important for the club, despite his lack of minutes, he insisted he wants things to change for the sake of his own happiness.“I think that all of the players at Real Madrid are important,” he added.“The problem is that it’s difficult to get consistency when you’re a young player.“Without that consistency I will never be able to show my potential.“Of course I am not happy when I don’t play.“I have really enjoyed these three years in Madrid, alongside some incredible teammates and winning trophies, but I haven’t been completely happy because my contribution to all of this hasn’t been complete and this is something I want to change.” 3 Good times Fallon d’Floor REAL DEAL three-way race Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star Olivier Giroud confirms N’Golo Kante is the nicest man in football Zlatan Ibrahimovic in ‘advanced talks’ to complete Premier League comeback A reminder to Liverpool fans about the very comical threat Neymar offers GOSSIP Euro expert explains why Liverpool should be so excited about Minamino The Croatian international signed for Real Madrid from Inter Milan in August 2015 Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade center_img Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing RANKED Latest transfer news Real Madrid will start the season with Julen Lopetegui in charge following the departure of Zinedine Zidane.And Kovacic wants immediate talks with the incoming boss as he seeks for clarification as he blame his current role as a substitute for Croatia at the World Cup on his domestic predicament.“I don’t know the new coach and I’ve never spoken to him, but I know that we need to talk about my future,” he continued.“I have been at Real Madrid for three years and haven’t played too much, something which has affected my status with the national team.“This is something I’m not happy about.“That’s why the best thing would be to change team.“Real Madrid are an extraordinary team with great players and maybe I am too young to contribute at 100 per cent, I don’t know.” ‘perfect fit” ‘It could have been me’ – Allardyce admits World Cup was tough to watch NO JOY Shy guy Southgate makes young England fan’s day by replying to his letter IN DEMAND Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny admits he didn’t want France to win World Cup Why does Luis Suarez kiss his wrist when he celebrates a goal? Tottenham and Manchester City target Mateo Kovacic wants to quit Real Madrid this summer to become a regular starter elsewhere.The Croatian star finds himself on the bench at the World Cup following a season of sporadic appearances domestically. Learn the words for England’s catchy Gareth Southgate song LU BEAUTY Pure class Chelsea have watched Leeds ace ‘perfect for Premier League football’ regularly diamond geezer Dele Alli reveals pre-match rituals and lucky charms he has before matches Watch every goal England scored at the 2018 World Cup Mateo Kovacic in action for Real Madrid last season. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father misery heading off Man United ‘miss out’ on Minamino, West Ham scout Flamengo strikers, Auba wants out WHITE KNIGHT last_img read more

Read More →

Twitter Cohort Lite

first_imgBy Molly C. Herndon, Social Media SpecialistThe Personal Finance and Network Literacy teams will again be joining forces to create a learning opportunity for folks interested in Twitter. The 2-week event will begin May 18.This year’s event will focus on asynchronous activities that participants can complete at their own pace. The event’s guides have assembled resources and homework for participants that will teach new skills and broaden existing networks. Watch videos and view last year’s syllabus here.The Twitter Cohort Lite promises to be an easy way to get your feet wet and start tweeting with a supportive and encouraging network of professionals. By participating in this year’s event, you will:Build your Twitter personal learning network centered around your interests.Engage in conversations with a Twitter community that starts with your fellow cohort members and reaches across the world.Start online relationships that will last into the future.Begin to see how Twitter can be used for teaching, learning, and connecting.So if the Twitterverse seems intimidating or if you’re just learning to enhance your own personal learning network, register today for this immersive learning opportunity.This post was published on the Military Families Learning Network blog on May 5, 2015.last_img read more

Read More →

Hema Malini seconds Maneka Gandhi on death penalty for rape of children below 12 years

first_imgVeteran actor and BJP MP Hema Malini on Saturday echoed the views expressed by Union Minister Maneka Gandhi and demanded that rapists of children below 12 years must be “hanged to death”.On Friday, Ms. Maneka said that she had asked her department to work on a proposal to amend the Protection of Children Against Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act to bring in the provision of death penalty for the rape of a minor below the age of 12 years. Taking to Twitter, Ms. Malini called for a national movement against “animals who don’t spare even babies” and said media should also support the cause.“Daily newspaper reports of rape happening in every part of our country! Kathua, Unnao are [nothing] but two of the long list of shame. Can these mindless rapists even be classified as human beings? They are beasts on the rampage & should be hanged to death for their heinous crimes,” Ms. Malini, who is the BJP MP from Mathura, tweeted.“There should be a national uprising with strong support from the media, against these animals who don’t spare even babies & toddlers! I agree with Manekaji that death penalty should be instantaneous once proven guilty & there should be no bail or pardon, juveniles included, for all rapes,” she added.In the present POCSO law, there is no provision for capital punishment, with the maximum sentence being life imprisonment for penetrative sexual assault as well aggravated penetrative sexual assault. In Kathua, an eight-year-old girl from the nomadic Bakerwal community had gone missing from near her house on January 10 and a week later, her body was found in the same area. In the Unnao case, a 17-year-old girl has alleged that she was raped by BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar at his residence on June 4 last year.last_img read more

Read More →

Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya looking for new TV deal for Mexican superstar Canelo…

first_imgAdvertisementBack in 2014, Canelo Alvarez left Showtime to return to HBO after signing an exclusive multi-fight contract. Now it has been revealed by Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya and promoter of Canelo Alvarez, that the rematch with Gennady Golovkin is last fight under HBO’s contract and he is looking for a new TV deal for his star boxer.Canelo has had six-fight with HBO till now with five of them being on Pay-Per-View. Canelo with HBO has had a decent run on HBO. His first PPV fight under HBO was against Puerto Rican legend Miguel Cotto, which was a successful fight on box office having sold 900,000 buys. His next two fights were against Amir Khan and Liam Smith which sold around 600,000 and 350,000 PPV buys respectively.It was the Chavez Jr fight which proved to be a breakthrough fight for him and the first fight as the A-side which cracked over a million buys. ESPN estimates that it sold around 1.2 Million buys and his next fight was against his arch-rival Gennady Golovkin which sold around 1.3 Million buys and is the biggest PPV buys generated by Canelo as the A-side.Leading up to the rematch against Golovkin, the fight is expected to break PPV records set by the first fight and it comes with a hefty PPV price of $84.95 to watch it on HD.However, HBO has been on a decline recently and it looks like they are not committed to boxing anymore.In an interview to LA times, Oscar De La Hoya said:“It makes me wonder if HBO even wants to be in boxing. … Given the circumstances that boxing is in line at this moment, with ESPN, DAZN and the fact that Fox television has paid millions and Showtime’s doing many things, it’s going to be very interesting for us and Canelo to see what HBO can do to keep him.”HBO has been a boxing powerhouse for a long time having produced superstars like Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, Oscar De La Hoya, Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto etc.Also Read-Boxing: Canelo vs GGG 2 gets a solid undercard fight Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →