‘Snow wedding’ brings good tidings for tourism industry in Kashmir Valley

first_imgFormer Chief Minister and National Conference vice-president Omar Abdullah also wished the couple, while sharing the wedding pictures on social media. “A destination wedding with a difference. Nice to see some of the wedding party on skis. 30 years since the last one, Gulmarg’s historic church plays host to another wedding,” he tweeted.Nazir Ahmad, a tour operator, said the viral pictures of the wedding had come as a shot in the arm for the tourism industry, which has suffered due to militancy in the Valley. “From 13 lakh tourists in 2012, the footfall has dropped by an alarming 35%,” said a tourism official. The wedding of an Australian couple at snow-filled Gulmarg has lifted the spirits of the flagging tourism industry in Kashmir, where tourists’ footfall has recently seen an unprecedented decline. The pictures of the couple went viral on the Internet on Saturday, putting the spotlight back on the destination, just 55 km from Srinagar.Tim Robertson and Kate Hamilton described their wedding as “nothing less than a fairy tale”, after the pictures shot at the snow-bound 100-year-old St. Mary’s Church on Thursday were widely shared by local residents. The couple chose to wear Indian attire on the day of the wedding. However, they had to settle for snow boots to reach the church. Most guests arrived on skis and kept warm with the kangri, a pot of hot embers. The temperature in Gulmarg has been minus 10° Celsius at night. “A local gifted me a scarf on the occasion. It was very touching,” said Ms. Hamilton.Local cuisineKashmiri music and local cuisine were highlights of the wedding. Mr. Robertson said they had been planning a “white wedding” in the mountains. “I am glad we decided to have it in Gulmarg. The place has spectacular mountains and the warmest people,” he said.last_img read more

Read More →

Mayweather, McGregor get ready for business

first_img Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side MOST READ Saturday’s bout could become the most lucrative fight in history according to Showtime Sports television executive Stephen Espinoza.Mayweather could add another $200 million to his career earnings depending on pay-per-view sales while McGregor, who only four years ago was a struggling former plumber’s apprentice living on welfare, could collect $100 million.This will be the most widely distributed pay per view in history,” Espinoza said.“That’s not hyperbole that’s fact. We are well on the way to a record-setting event.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, and Conor McGregor pose for photographers during a news conference Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017, in Las Vegas. APLas Vegas, United States — Conor McGregor vowed to destroy Floyd Mayweather here Wednesday as the two fighters faced off ahead of their money-spinning boxing duel that could become the richest fight in history.In stark contrast to their lurid, trash-talking global press tour last month, a subdued McGregor and a stern-looking Mayweather spoke respectfully as they looked ahead to Saturday’s 12-round boxing contest at the T-Mobile Arena.ADVERTISEMENT Mayweather, who bombarded McGregor with expletives and homophobic slurs during last month’s frenzied publicity blitz, did not swear once during Wednesday’s news conference.McGregor, the massive underdog for this weekend’s bout, restricted himself to verbally abusing a heckler in the audience who predicted he would be knocked out.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingMcGregor faces his first ever professional boxing contest against Mayweather, the undefeated former welterweight king who has come out of a two-year retirement to take on the Irish mixed martial arts star.However McGregor, the 29-year-old from Dublin, insisted he was ready to stun the world of combat sports by upsetting Mayweather, who would improve his record to a perfect 50-0 with a win. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim “Been to a lot of these crazy press conferences,” said McGregor, a two-time UFC world champion. “This is a lot more subdued. More business-like, the way I like it.“We are prepared for 12 three-minute rounds of non-stop pace. We are prepared, I will put pressure on him and break this old man. Trust me on that.“I don’t see him lasting two rounds. I feel I have the decision to end it inside one.“Keep your hands up, keep your hands down, I don’t care, I’m going to break through whatever’s in front of me.”‘I’ll die a fighter’ ADVERTISEMENT Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Mayweather, 40, looked relaxed throughout, even taking time to quietly admonish members of his entourage shouting at McGregor.And rather than the abuse of last month, Mayweather praised McGregor as a “helluva fighter, a stand-up guy and a tough competitor.”“It’s not going to be an easy fight,” Mayweather said. “It’s going to be blood sweat and tears. “He’s the best at what he do, I’m the best at what I do. It comes down to the two competitors going out there and displaying our skills.”But Mayweather’s words came with a warning for McGregor.“After 21 years I’ve been hit with everything and I’m still right here,” Mayweather said.“And if you give it, you must be able to take it.“Anything and everything in boxing that can be done, I’ve done it. I was born a fighter, I will die a fighter. He’s going to bring his best. But it’s not going to be easy, Conor.”McGregor is hoping his punching power can catch Mayweather out on Saturday. But the American veteran warned he had faced plenty of hard hitters before.“Manny Pacquiao got bombs, Canelo (Alvarez) got bombs, Shane Mosley got bombs. But remember this — I got a great chin. And the same way you give it, you’ve got to be able to take it.”The showdown between Mayweather and McGregor was confirmed in June after a protracted guessing game about whether the two fighters from different sports would meet. Who’s the best puncher? Mayweather says it could surprise Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelolast_img read more

Read More →