Foreigners from virus-hit areas banned from gatherings

first_imgILOILO City – Foreigners from countries with confirmed cases ofthe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are prohibited from attending massgatherings here. * Organizers of mass gatherings must have medical and securityplans approved by the Philippine National Police and the City Disaster Risk Reductionand Management Office. Here are the other health safety guidelines from the city governmentvis-à-vis mass gatherings: In ordering the ban, Mayor Jerry Treñas said city government istaking proactive steps to keep Iloilo free from COVID-19, which haspneumonia-like symptoms. WHO has upgraded the global risk of the coronavirus outbreak to“very high” Friday last week, its top level of risk assessment. But the UnitedNations body said there was still a chance of containing the virus if its chainof transmission were broken. * There should be medical teams and ambulances on standby duringmass gatherings. * Organizers of mass gatherings should make available handsanitizers and alcohol to the attendees. * After contact with respiratory secretions, one should performhand hygiene. Two big events the city government recently cancelled were theParaw Regatta (Feb. 23 to March 1) and the religious gathering RUN for Jesus2020 (Feb. 27) with participants from South Korea, the country outside Chinawith the highest cases of COVID-19. Globally, more than 80,000 people have been infected. About 2,800have died – the vast majority in China’s Hubei province, the epicenter of theoutbreak. * Persons with signs and symptoms of respiratory infection such ascough and cold should wear medical masks. The disease seems to start with a fever, followed by a dry cough.The incubation period – between infection and showing any symptoms – lasts upto 14 days, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). But someresearchers say it may be as long as 24 days. And Chinese scientists say somepeople may be infectious even before their symptoms appear. * The elderly, young, pregnant women and those with existingmedical conditions should wear facemasks at all times. People with a history of travel to other countries with confirmedcases of COVID-19 and has not completed 14 days of quarantine are also notallowed to attend mass gatherings, he stressed. Just this Feb. 25 the city mayor issued an executive ordersuspending all major public gatherings up to the end of March. WHO head Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also stressed that fearand misinformation were the biggest challenges to overcome. * Practice proper respiratory hygiene when at mass gatherings.This includes covering the nose and mouth with disposable tissue or elbow whencoughing or sneezing. Dispose used tissue properly. After a week, it leads to shortness of breath and some patientsrequire hospital treatment. More than 50 countries have now reported cases of coronavirus./PNlast_img read more

Read More →

Jacob deGrom’s camp ‘frustrated’ by lack of extension talks with Mets, report says

first_img Related News Brodie Van Wagenen, who used to be deGrom’s agent when working at CAA but is now the general manager for the Mets, told New York last season to sign his client to a deal or trade him. The club did neither and deGrom still waits for his extension.deGrom will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season, but he will be 33 when he hits the open market, if he gets there. New York has expressed a desire to sign deGrom to an extension and will push for one this season.“Jacob is an important part of the franchise, one of the best players in baseball and he is a priority of this franchise going forward,” Van Wagenen told the Post. “It is our hope that he is part of the championship efforts in the future. I would hope Jacob deGrom is a lifelong Met.”deGrom went 10-9 with a 1.70 ERA over 217 innings with 269 strikeouts in 2018. MLB hot stove: Bryce Harper drawing 8 teams’ interest, some think short-term deal Jacob deGrom’s representatives are “at minimum, disappointed” the Mets have not had any “substantive” talks with the National League Cy Young winner about a contract extension this offseason, according to a report from the New York Post.deGrom signed a one-year, $17-million deal this offseason, which represented a record raise for a player going from year one to year two of arbitration, but he has been looking for a long-term contract with New York and an offer is yet to come.last_img read more

Read More →

‘Reverse Dependency Syndrome’

first_imgAn entrepreneur of the United States of America, Mr. Juan Casimiro, has emphasized the need for Liberians to reverse from dependency to champion their own cause to become sustainable through business.Making the assertion in an interview following a Training of Trainers (TOT) workshop organized for young Liberian entrepreneurs by the U.S. Embassy in Monrovia, Mr. Casimiro indicated that Liberia, like other countries around the world, depends on others for survival— something he said people need to seriously put behind them to engage in business ventures that will make them successful entrepreneurs, instead of depending on others.“What I see in Liberia, like other countries, is that people depend too much on others. They see these NGOs and the government and decide to depend on them.  You have to reverse that mindset, become self- enterprising, become self sustainable,” he stressed.Highlighting the nature of the four-day workshop, Mr. Casimiro said it is meant to provide knowledge for young entrepreneurs to be successful in life and be able to manage money the best way and to become independent entrepreneurs.He said they had a training exercise for the same group last October, and the Training of Trainer component came to prepare these Liberians to train others in their communities in return.The program, according to the workshop facilitator, in line with U.S. Government under the leadership of President Barak Obama was initiated for African youths; about 850 Liberians have applied to be a part it.Of the 850 Mr. Casimiro said only about 15 to 20 will be selected from Liberia to form a part.Concerning the Casimiro Global Foundation he operates as an entrepreneur, Mr. Casimiro said he came with the dream following the death of his father fourteen years ago when he realized that he could not just sit to mourn but to undertake a venture in honor of his deceased father.The foundation, he said is concerned with three programs; namely, Global Youth Chain of Commerce, Global Youth internship Program and SEED (Social Enterprise & Entrepreneurship Development) Fund.He said while some have the entrepreneurial knowledge and plan to make a business grow, they lack funds to invest in business.  Therefore, he said the SEED aspect of the foundation was included to provide funds for prepared entrepreneurs who will want to start a business but lack the capital.Mr. Casimiro assured that some of the Liberian entrepreneurs that underwent the training may receive funding from his foundation, but they will have to submit their business plans through electronic mail and he and the board of the foundation will assess and properly evaluate the plans before providing fund for some of them.To keep the trained entrepreneurs in touch, the facilitator said there will be a periodic video conference with them and will constantly be exchanging emails so they remain acquainted with what they need to know to train others in their respective communities.The twenty participants are mainly young Liberians who have gained knowledge at various accredited universities in the country.Commenting on the significance of the workshop, two of the twenty participants, Suah Wanyan and Chebio W. Dickson II, expressed delight over being a part of the training. They noted that it left them more determined to becoming entrepreneurs, instead of relying on government or other institutions to provide jobs for them.Suah Wanyan who is already operating a sanitation company said strategies learnt from the training will help her not only to train others, but will provide her the opportunity to explore avenues on how to sustain and account for her business.For his part, Chebio W. Dickson said the workshop has given him leadership direction in addition to his Business Management gained at the university. He said he will make sure he uses his knowledge to succeed in business.Meanwhile, having gained their business knowledge through the U.S. embassy, the participants returned the gesture by offering a token of appreciation to the embassy and its facilitator.As is customary, on occasions, they gowned Mr. Casimiro and presented to one of U.S. Embassy staff, an artifact symbolizing friendship. It was intended for Ambassador Deborah Malac who was unable to attend the closing ceremony.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

Berbice pensioner found with throat slit

first_imgDead: Rookmin Jameer…daughter, friend in custodyA pensioner was on Friday found with her throat slit near her kitchen door in her Tempe Village, West Coast Berbice, Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice) home.Dead is Rookmin Jameer, called “Joycelyn”, 69, of Lot 303 Tempe Village, WCB.The woman’s body was discovered by her 47-year-old daughter, who lives in the house with her mother.According to Police, the woman was found at about 17:00h in front of her kitchen door with a gaping wound to the throat. The Police stated that nothing was reported stolen from the home nor was the house ransacked.Speaking with Guyana Times, the dead woman’s son, Shaieed Jameer, said he was at work when he was informed about the incident. He explained that when he arrived at the house, the Police were already there and he was not permitted to enter.“The police stop me so I couldn’t see she,” he related while noting that his sister reported that when she returned from church and found their mother lying at the door.Reports are that there was an alleged outgoing feud between the mother and daughter. According to Police sources, there was an alleged scuffle between the two women on Tuesday last and her other children had advise her to report the matter to the Police. However, on the day of the alleged scuffle the elderly woman was reportedly locked inside the house as a mean of preventing her from reporting the matter.“I live at Britania and they live at Tempe. They live together. One day when I come from work my wife tell me that she call home by we and tell she daughter thief she money,” the son stated.Police have since taken the daughter and her male overseas based Guyanese friend into custody. Investigations are continuing.last_img read more

Read More →

Team South Africa: Caster Semenya

first_img17 May 2012It might come as a surprise to some, but Caster Semenya, a medal prospect in the women’s 800 metres at the London Olympic Games, is just 21 years old. She blasted into the public consciousness back in 2009, when she won the 800 metres at the IAAF World Championships at the age of 18.It was an eye-opening victory for Semenya, who decimated her opposition and won going away by 20 metres over the second-placed finisher, Janeth Jepkosgei, in a time of 1:55.45.Yet even before that race, a messy and poorly handled investigation into the muscular young South African had begun when, three hours before the final, the news broke that the IAAF wanted her to undergo a gender test.ClearedIt took almost a year for the International Association of Athletics Federations to clear Semenya, but it certainly set her development as a top athlete back. After a late start to 2010, her best time of 1:58.16 came in Milan in September.Despite that strong performance, she struggled to find the kind of form that made her a world champion, but showed excellent temperament on one of the sport’s biggest stages at the IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea in 2011, lifting her game to excel against the world’s best 800 metres athletes once again.Semenya recorded her best time of the year in the semi-finals, 1:58.07, to win her race and qualify for the final.Top performanceWith medals on the line, she bettered her performance in the final, clocking a fast 1:56.35, which was good for second place behind fast-finishing Russian Maria Savinova.Those two World Championships performances suggest that Semenya has the invaluable quality of BMT – big match temperament – which allows her to perform her best under extreme pressure.She booked her spot at the London Olympics in April when she ran a time of 1:59.58 seconds in Pretoria. Incredibly, that sub two-minute clocking was the first time a woman had cracked the two-minute barrier in South Africa since Zelda Pretorius ran 1:58.35 in 1991.‘A weight off my shoulders’After achieving the qualifying standard for a second time (her first was at the world Championships in Daegu), Semenya told reporters: “It’s a weight off my shoulders and I’m very happy with my time. I possibly can go quicker. Tonight was just my third race of the season.”She also shared her goals with the media, saying: “I have to win a gold medal at the Olympics. That’s what I want.“My dream is to win the Olympics, and that’s my plan. I feel OK, because now I can run good races again, run faster. Qualifying for the Olympics, it’s a good step forward.”Semenya, who is coached by Mozambiquan 800 metres legend Maria Mutola, a former Olympic and world champion, will compete overseas in May and June in a bid to improve her season’s best time to under 1:57.00.If she finds that kind of form, she will be a strong gold medal candidate in London.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Read More →

Home Minister to examine Pakistan doctor’s mercy plea

first_imgP. Chidambaram will examine the mercy plea of Pakistani prisoner Mohammed Khalil Chishty.Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has asked Home Minister P. Chidambaram to examine if the request for Pakistani doctor Mohammed Khalil Chishty could be considered on “humanitarian” grounds. A Supreme Court judge had requested the prime minister to grant pardon to the Pakistani prisoner locked up in Ajmer Central jail. The prime minister has forwarded Justice Katju’s letter for the pardon of 80-year-old Khalil Chishty to the home minister. Chishti was sentenced to life imprisonment on charges of murdering one of his relatives during a brawl over disputed property. Manmohan’s intervention came a day after Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot cleared the mercy petition of the prisoner. In his letter to Chidambaram, the prime minister has said, “I shall be grateful if you could examine the request of Justice Katju to see if a pardon to Dr Khalil Chishty could be considered on humanitarian grounds.” For more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.last_img read more

Read More →

Australia send Williams and Addison out winners

first_imgAlthough Australia had already won the series, they were determined to send out Australian stalwarts Sharyn Williams and Rachel Addison out on the right note.The two led the Women’s Open team out onto the field for their final appearance in Australian colours.Louise Winchester got Australia off to a great start with the opening touchdown and Stacey Lapham followed shortly afterwards.Conal Grant scored in the corner after lightning quick hands gave her some space down the right flank. Robyna Hokai scored shortly after finding space in the in-goal after a scoop to make it two apiece.Kristy Judd threw a long ball to the retiring Rachel Addison who managed to sneak in between two New Zealand defenders.Kelly Woods rang the ball to the line with Bo De La Cruz running a great line and Louise Winchester squeezed in for her second touchdown of the half and a 5-2 half-time.New Zealand needed to score first to remain in the game and they did so through Lillian Pompey.Stacey Lapham scored her second but New Zealand scored the next three touchdowns to Level the scores with Carla Hohepa scoring first and Janelle Cavanagh scoring two of her own. Momentum was now with the Kiwis for the first time in the series. Australia showed their class with Kelly McGennity scoring to regain the lead. Robyna Hokai was splits seconds from tying it up again but Australia rallied in defence.Bo De La Cruz scored a runaway touchdown to finish on a high in what completed a convincing series win for the Aussies. They also sent out Williams and Addison in deserving fashion.It was a class performance for the Aussies who showed great professionalism throughout. Kelly Woods was outstanding throughout the series but had a support cast of many with De La Cruz, Louise Winchester and Kristy Judd continue the high standard they set themselves.last_img read more

Read More →

USC Quarterback Cody Kessler Made The College Football Playoff Trophy His #WCW

first_imgUSC's Cody Kessler posts a picture of the College Football Playoff trophy for Woman Crush Wednesday.USC College Football Playoff Cody KesslerThe USC Trojans, led by star quarterback Cody Kessler, are a trendy pick to compete for the College Football Playoff this winter. It looks like Kessler has no problem getting behind that notion.Wednesday, Kessler took to Twitter to post a photo of the College Football Playoff trophy, which he claims is his “woman crush.” It’s an interesting pick for #WCW, but it works.#WomanCrushWednesday pic.twitter.com/oof7Yn8H8X— Cody Kessler✝ (@CodyKessler6) August 5, 2015We’ll find out in a few short months whether he winds up landing the hardware.last_img read more

Read More →

Rep Vaupel reschedules April office hours

first_img Categories: Vaupel News State Rep. Hank Vaupel rescheduled next month’s office hours for Friday, April 12 to avoid interference with Good Friday celebrations.“Since taking office, I have faithfully held local office hours the third Friday of each month,” Rep. Vaupel said. “I do not want to miss an opportunity to hear from you, but I also feel it is important for people to have the chance to recognize Good Friday without scheduling conflicts. I hope to see you April 12!”Office hours are scheduled for the following times and locations:2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Fowlerville Farms, 941 S. Grand Ave. in Fowlerville;4 to 5 p.m. at Biggby Coffee, 11325 W. Highland Road in Hartland; and5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at All Star Coney Island, 934 Michigan Ave. in Howell.No appointment is necessary. Residents unable to attend may contact Rep. Vaupel’s office by calling (517) 373-8835 or by email at HankVaupel@house.mi.gov. 19Mar Rep. Vaupel reschedules April office hourslast_img read more

Read More →