“I have not been confident about the outcome of this, a lot of people from the tower have concerns about the transparency and integrity of it.” After meeting residents earlier in the day, the judge said he was “doubtful” all of their concerns could be addressed by his inquiry. Responding to his comments, Mr Miller said: “That goes against what the Prime Minister has said, that has gone against the official statement, that it would ‘leave no stone unturned’.” On the night their home was ravaged by fire Mr Miller had received a call from his partner as she escaped from the building.“I was outside the building, I had just got back from my mum’s and my partner called me and told me the building was on fire, which didn’t really penetrate,” Mr Miller said. Ms Jones, who was marking her 32nd birthday on Thursday, added: “I came out just before 1am, when I came out one side of the building was on fire.” Since then, the family have been living in a hotel and unable to begin the process of rebuilding their lives. Mr Miller said: “It has been very stressful, we are stuck in a hotel, we cannot purchase new items like kids’ bunk beds and the trauma has been extended because we cannot really grieve. Labour councillor Robert Atkinson speaks to the media outside Kensington Town HallCredit:PA Mr Paget-Brown told councillors: “I’ve been advised that if there are others present we cannot have an open discussion. “We can’t have an unprejudiced discussion in this room with a public inquiry that’s about to take place if journalists are recording and writing our comments.”I’m told the press are here because of the result of legal intervention and that therefore means we cannot have the discussion that we intending to have because that would prejudice the public inquiry. Fire consumed Grenfell Tower near Latimer RoadCredit: Guilhem Baker A couple left homeless by the Grenfell Tower fire have said failure to invite all survivors to a consultation about the public inquiry was “disrespectful”. Sir Martin Moore-Bick said it was ‘doubtful’ his inquiry would satisfy survivors and admitted it would be “pretty well limited” in its scope. Sir Martin, 70, who was a former lord justice of appeal, also suggested his inquiry would not be quick, saying he hoped an interim report could be produced within a year. Sir Martin Moore-Bick was at the scene on ThursdayCredit: Photoshot The leader of Kensington and Chelsea council was facing renewed calls to resign after he scrapped a public meeting on the Grenfell Tower disaster because journalists were present.Nicholas Paget-Brown took the astonishing step of dissolving the meeting when he realised newspaper reporters were in the council chamber.The move was branded “anti-democratic” while Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat leader, called it “disgusting”.Earlier in the day, the council had announced the cabinet meeting would be held behind closed doors because of a claim of a risk of violence to councillors and staff.But a High Court order was obtained by newspapers giving the media the right to attend the cabinet session. Reporters were finally let into the meeting shortly after it began but when Mr Paget-Brown, who is a Conservative, was made aware of the presence of reporters, he called it off. “That is the legal advice I have received and therefore have to declare the meeting closed.” He said that inquiry “did not consult with the families and the survivors” and “the same thing seems to have happened all over again”. Theresa May said she expects one “as early as possible”. It emerged yesterday that Sir Martin previously ruled in favour of Kensington and Chelsea council, which is at the centre of the Grenfell Tower scandal, in an appeal court case in which an Iranian asylum seeker objected to accommodation she was being offered because it resembled her jail cell in Iran.Sir Martin’s appointment was announced by the prime minister at 9.30am yesterday but within three hours he had angered local residents in North Kensington on a tour of the site and at a meeting with survivors.Sir Martin said after his discussions with victims: “I’ve been asked to undertake this inquiry on the basis that it would be pretty well limited to the problems surrounding the start of the fire and its rapid development in order to make recommendations about how this sort of thing can be prevented in future.“I’m well aware the residents and the local people want a much broader investigation and I can fully understand why they would want that – whether my inquiry is the right way in which to achieve that I’m more doubtful.”Sir Martin refused to put a timescale on the inquiry, immediately prompting concern it could go the way of Mrs May’s other ill-fated inquiry into child sexual abuse, which is now expected to cost more than £100 million and will take at least six years. Jason Miller and Corinne Jones escaped the 17th floor of the burning block with their two children and have since been living like “refugees” in emergency accommodation. On Thursday morning Sir Martin Moore-Bick, the judge leading the forthcoming probe, met a handful of residents to discuss the investigation. Many who lived in Grenfell Tower were unaware of the meeting and few had confidence in the outcome of the inquiry, Mr Miller said. The 37-year-old told the Press Association: “The first we heard about the meeting was when my partner spoke to someone from a law firm who said the judge would be visiting the tower and she asked fellow residents if they knew that and no-one knew about it. “Not being aware as residents of the tower, we found that a bit disrespectful. “We have reservations about the judge as well and previous cases he has presided over because it has related to people in social housing.” Controversy about Sir Martin’s appointment to the role began brewing when it emerged he had ruled a mother-of-five had to move 50 miles away from her home in 2014. “Hearing that was like salt in the wounds,” Mr Miller said. Downing Street said it wanted all parties involved in the aftermath of the fire “to be as open and transparent as possible, both with residents and the wider public, to ensure full confidence in the response effort”. A spokeswoman said: “We would encourage everyone involved to respect this wherever possible.” “We are out every day just getting items such as driving licences and passports. “We feel like refugees at the moment.” His partner added they simply wanted to “go back home”, saying: “We will never be able to sit back in our front room, we just want a permanent house.” The judge also addressed concerns that his ruling on a housing case in November 2014 would cause issues for the inquiry.In the proceedings he had sided with Westminster City Council’s decision that mother-of-five Titina Nzolameso should be rehoused 50 miles (80km) away. His ruling was later overturned in the Supreme Court. With permanent accommodation for the Grenfell Tower residents being an urgent concern, there were fears that his involvement in the case could inflame sensitivities. Sir Martin said: “I was rather surprised to see myself described as controversial. “The case is one of many that I have decided over my time as a judge. I have been a judge for over 20 years and, particularly in the Court of Appeal, one deals with an enormous range of work, much of which involves local government or central government. “One simply reaches the conclusion that you think is right, applying the law as you see it, and that is the work of a judge. “You can’t pretend to get every case right, at least in the eyes of the Supreme Court.” The ruling, condemned as ‘social cleansing of the poor on a mass scale’ – was overturned by the Supreme Court. The Telegraph can disclose that in a 2015 appeal court hearing, he ruled in favour of Kensington and Chelsea council against Vida Poshteh, an Iranian asylum seeker who was refused accommodation after rejecting the council’s offer of a two-bedroom flat because it reminded her of her prison cell in Iran. Sir Martin said: “The purpose of this independent inquiry is to discover the truth about what happened at Grenfell Tower, so that we can learn lessons for the future and ensure that a tragedy of this kind never happens again. “It is vitally important that the inquiry be open, transparent and fair to all those whose involvement with Grenfell Tower comes under scrutiny. “It is important for everyone that the inquiry should establish as quickly as possible the cause of the fire and how it was able to spread so quickly to the whole of the building. “I understand the desire of local people for justice; justice for them, and for all those involved in whatever way, will best be served by a vigorous inquiry that gets to the truth as quickly as possible.” Sadiq Khan, London’s mayor, said: “One of great things about our country is we believe in open democracy. Kensin and Chelsea needs to reflect on the way its behaved since Grenfell.” In a statement released after the cabinet meeting was dissolved, Mr Paget-Brown said: “We are under sustained media criticism for a slow reaction to the fire, non-visibility and for failing to invest in North Kensington. “I believe that many of these criticisms need to be challenged and over time they will be, but I can think of nothing more demeaning to the memory of those lost and missing in the fire than seeking the resolution of political scores.”The row came on a dramatic day with the retired judge chairing the Grenfell Tower inquiry angering residents within hours of his appointment yesterday, admitting he was “doubtful” his investigation would satisfy them. The announcement prompted chaotic, angry scenes. Mr Paget-Brown was furiously confronted by opposition councillor Robert Atkinson who stood up to demand the cabinet’s resignation.”An absolute fiasco, this is why I am calling for your resignation,” he said.”Our reputation is absolutely in the gutter,” another councillor in the room said.Ahead of the meeting, the council had posted on its website: “Please note this meeting will be held entirely in private session, pursuant to Standing Order 31.01, in the light of the risk of disruption (as witnessed on Friday 16 June) and consequent security and public safety concerns.”The council had been stormed shortly after the fire with residents and others furious at the council’s slow response to the catastrophe – and blame for it happening in the first place. Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron said in reaction to the announcement: “It was a young MP called Margaret Thatcher who changed the law to allow the public to attend council meetings and it is utterly shameful that a Conservative council is trying to stop democracy. This is frankly disgusting.” The terms of reference of the inquiry are still to be decided but one legal source said Sir Martin will be ‘efficient’ and that would likely mean not giving a platform to every resident of the tower to tell their story at public hearings. Scotland Yard has said 80 people died in the blaze but the final toll may not be known until the end of the year. Mrs May said “no stone will be left unturned” by the inquiry as she confirmed Sir Martin’s appointment. She said: “I am determined that there will be justice for all the victims of this terrible tragedy and for their families who have suffered so terribly.”Sir Martin’s appointment was recommended by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd.Downing Street denied claims it had some unease over the choice because Sir Martin had presided over a 2014 appeal court case in which he ruled in favour of Westminster city council in a dispute with a tenant facing homelessness after she refused to be rehoused near Milton keynes. Sir Martin said: “I think it’s impossible to say how long it’s going to take; I have said on other occasions a matter of months, some people have talked about two or three months.”I don’t think that’s realistic; on the other hand I would be very disappointed if we couldn’t get a preliminary report out in under a year.“I would rather not say with any precision now when that is likely to be.” Residents who met Sir Martin at a church close to Grenfell Tower told of their concerns, including his background as a commercial lawyer, who had specialised in shipping and insurance law. Joe Delaney, 37, who worked with Grenfell Action Group, said: “He seems to want to keep the scope very narrow, to do with why the fire spread so quickly, while we are more looking at why was it started in the first place, why were residents ignored?“Can a technical insurance man like that deliver those answers?”Oluwaseun Talabi, who fled Grenfell Tower with his partner and four-year-old daughter, said: “We need a criminal judge.A well-placed source told The Telegraph: “The judge’s comments are very problematic.”Michael Mansfield QC, who has met survivors of the fire, said it was “unbelievable that lessons are not learned” from the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, which is now on its fourth chairman. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.