Australia Wins Women’s Open Division

first_imgAustralia has taken an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the Women’s Open division, with an 8-4 win sealing the series on day two of the Open’s fixtures at the 2013 Super Trans Tasman Series. Women’s OpenAustralia continued its dominance of Women’s Touch with a convincing 8-4 win over New Zealand in Game 2 of the Trans Tasman Test Series. The result gives Australia an unbeatable 2-0 lead with the home team playing for pride tomorrow.As with yesterday’s match there was little separating the teams in the opening exchanges; each scored a touchdown early on and then neither side’s defence was able to be cracked. The Touch Blacks Kristina Sue was dangerous with the ball in hand while Australia Kirsty Quince was creating well for Australia.The decisive moments of the half both came from Mel Peters who crossed for back-to-back touchdowns in the closing stages of the half. Her anticipation and timing was excellent and Australia went into the break with their tales up.New Zealand responded strongly in the opening stages of the second half and reaped rewards when Sue sliced through and found Tyla Nathan-Wong who made no mistake in scoring. At 3-2 in Australia’s favour it was anyone’s game.‘Anyone’ in this case was Mel Peters who scored her third Touchdown and gave the Aussies a buffer. New Zealand though are up to the task and peppered away at the line; Hollie Gray scored out wide to reduce the margin and keep in the kiwis in touch.As she did in Mudgee a year ago, when it matter most their captain Louise Winchester was there when it mattered most. She scored a touchdown and had a hand in another as Australia managed to pull away as the half ended.New Zealand never gave up but Australia has their number this time and ran out 8-4 winners.  Mixed OpenThe New Zealand Mixed Open team won its first title against Australia since the 2007 World Cup, claiming the second game of the 2013 series and subsequently the division. After a two touchdown win in game one, New Zealand went on an attacking array in game two, winning by six touchdowns, 12-6. Australia was the first team to score, when Cameron Nicholls scored in the first minute after being set up by Trent Touma. Touchdowns to Tiwi Davies and Hamish Buick saw New Zealand gave New Zealand the lead before Elin Mortimer levelled up the game at 2-all for Australia. The rest of the half was dominated by New Zealand, with three touchdowns scored, including a touchdown set up with some brilliant footwork from Phoenix Hunapo, to take a 5-2 lead into the half-time break. New Zealand picked up where they left off in the second half, scoring the first touchdown of the half in the opening set, before Australia’s Kristy Brennan hit back only for Hunapo to score and take a 7-3 lead for New Zealand. Australia’s Mortimer was sent for a period of time shortly after, and New Zealand were quick to make the most of the opportunity, with Jordan Rogers Rhind scoring to take a 9-3 lead. At one stage n the match New Zealand held an eight touchdown advantage before Australia started closing the gap.  Australia outscored New Zealand in the closing stages of the match, scoring three touchdowns to New Zealand’s two, but it was too little too late for the Aussies, with New Zealand ecstatic to win the game and subsequently the Mixed Open title. Men’s OpenThe New Zealand Men’s Open team created history on day five of the 2013 Super Trans Tasman Series, winning their first ever Men’s Open series with their 5-4 win in game two. New Zealand was on the scoreboard early, when Henry Dunn dived over to score to give his side a 1-0 lead. Australia hit back just prior to the midway mark of the half when a fantastic Dylan Hennessey long ball found Matt Prowse on the wing to level the game up at 1-all. Hennessey was in the thick of the action shortly after when he set up Robert Nakhla to take the lead for the first time in the game. It was shortly lived however, with Dunn scoring his second for the half. Captain Mita Graham put his side in the lead again after he was set up by Ed Burrell, to take a one touchdown advantage with six minutes remaining in the half. Hennessey and Prowse combined with three minutes left in the half to level the score up at 3-all and when Nicholas Good scored in the final minute, Australia took a 4-3 lead into the half-time break. A scare went through the New Zealand camp when Dean Williams fell to the ground with a knee injury early in the second half and didn’t return to the field for the rest of the match. The Kiwis refused to give up despite the odds against them and were the first team to score, with seven minutes remaining in the half, when Whitiaua Black scored to level the game up at 4-all. Both teams tried their best in the final minutes of the match to get one up on the other team but it was New Zealand who were able to do so, with Graham scoring his second of the match with three minutes remaining. New Zealand’s defence held strong in the final minutes, stopping everything that Australia tried. The celebrations after the full-time siren showed how much this maiden win meant to the side, while Australia no doubt will be looking to start to make amends in game three.Related LinksWomen’s Win TT Titlelast_img